Saturday, August 13, 2011

i'm a real teacher!

::DEEP BREATH:: okay. i made it through my first week. barely, but i'm alive.

my bedtime this week was 8pm...mostly because i couldn't keep my eyes open longer than that..&& a little because i was trying to retrain my body how to survive with little sleep...

it was a great week...my class is great...and my kindergarten team is AMAZING!

what a week, i heard everything from smacking lips when their mad to "but miss o'riley i'm going to miss you tonight" (from one of the kids while he was walking to his bus)....

here are some things i've learned this week:
1. i must learn more spanish.
2. 25 5-year old's need a TON of procedures (i knooooow that's what everyone told me..but i'm talking FOR REAL, haha)
3. procrastination SUCKS (i need to plan better this weekend)
4. 5 year olds CANNOT be quiet ALL the time. (cmon miss oriley). i need to learn to accept a little talking here and there during work times. plus...talking during work time sometimes helps the learning process along (sometimes its just talking ...but sometimes its learning)


overall, it was really a great week. it was a lot of 'survival'..i feel sad because i feel like i didnt teach as much as i wanted to but i have to keep reminding myself that i WAS teaching...it was just in the form of procedures (which will hopefully free up more of the school year for teaching)


3 highlights.

1. miss oriley lost her voice. it's not even that i've been YELLING a lot (i have been raising my voice a lot because 25 5 year old's are LOUD) buuut mostly because i've just been talking a LOT.
i told the kids yesterday "please quiet down miss orileys voice hurts and she can't talk loud"...20 minutes later one of my students - "but miss oriley i dont want you to lose your voice i like it!"
too cute!


2. getting puked on yesterday....one of my students told me his belly didn't feel good..and so when we were in the line for the bathroom he just started puking....ALL OVER. and some got on my toes...haha. and he puked all the way up the stairs..all the way through the lobby...(thankfully rachel and sheretta's class were at the bathrooms and so they watched my class while i took him upstairs to the nurse)


3. book buddies. we are pairing up with a 3rd grade class on friday afternoons to have them read to my kiddos. (and hopefully later we read to them)....it was great...the kids really seemed to enjoy it and for the most part they really behaved and listened to the stories! <3333



well, it was a pretty fantastic week overall.
i love kindergarten...i dont think i'll ever leave :)


xoxo miss o'riley.


OH! and i'll get pictures soon! i promise!

No comments: